For National Disability Employment Awareness Month, we’ve compiled the many tips, strategies, and leverage points that providers identified as critical to their success.
These include tips for planning, cultivating partnerships and funding, staffing, and supporting beneficiaries:
· Take small incremental steps to build infrastructure and slowly reallocating resources.
· Stay connected to other providers who have either gone through, or are undergoing, the same transformative change. Learn from each other.
· Optimize funding mechanisms, policy levers, and incentives. This includes federal grants from the U.S. Departments of Labor and Health and Human Services as well as funding from Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) and Medicaid.
· Talk to staff early and frequently about the business model change and reassure them that the plan is not to fire them.
· Adapt services to meet each person’s specific needs. The more individualized the support, the more likely there is a successful employment outcome.
Read the full blog post by ACL Program Specialist Annette Shea for many more tips from the field.